Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Baby Update

Hello all. I just thought I'd share with you the updated situation with the baby & I. On Sunday evening, I began having contractions. They were coming 10 minutes apart, so we tried to stay busy until they got closer together. Well, they didn't. I went to bed and they pretty much stopped. Monday morning while I was at work, they started up again. They still weren't super close, but I decided to stop by the hospital just to be checked. I spent 4 hours in the Labor & Delivery department being monitored. Boring! By the time they let me leave, my contractions were coming every 2 1/2 minutes and were lasting about 45 seconds each. They also checked me to find that I was a dilated a "solid 3", but was still "very thick". (Sorry if the details are a bit too much for some of you, but others have requested details.) However, because I was only 37 1/2 weeks along, my doctor was hesitant to let me progress into labor that soon. So, they gave me medicine to relax my uterus and help stop the contractions. It worked. I went home Monday night and slept pretty much until my doctor's appointment at 8am the next morning. At my appointment, my doctor checked me again and said I was 3+ and am now 60% effaced. She thinks the odds of me going this week are pretty high. They also had me get an ultrasound yesterday, just to make sure everything looks good before delivery. And he looks great! I do have another appointment tomorrow morning and we'll see how that goes. I will officially be 38 weeks tomorrow, so she may strip my membranes to really move along the labor. Mainly because my body is trying to do it on it's own, it may just need an extra push. And delivering at 38 weeks is better than 37 1/2.

So, that is my update. I've still been having contractions off and on since yesterday, but they aren't getting worse or staying in an actual pattern. So, chances are, I'm not going to do anything without a little push from the doctor. We'll keep you all updated. Love to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How exciting! I can hardly wait to see little baby DJ! Thanks for giving us all the details, it so much fun to hear about your progress. Any day now! DJ is knocking on the door wanting to come out! Let him come!

Chad and Kristen said...

WOOO HOOO!!!!

Anonymous said...

These are some of the most exciting days for a new mom to be! My heart is all a flutter for you as my mind is filled with memories of my own pre labor contractions, flurry of last minute doctor visits, preperations for a sweet new arrival, and nervous anticipations. What wonderful and happy times lay just around the corner for your growing family! I am so very excited for both you and James!