Friday, March 7, 2008

To my son

My Dearest David,
I wanted to write this to you while the amazing details of your birth are still vivid in my mind. After 38 weeks of awaiting your arrival, you dramatically graced us with your presence. After 3 days of my doctor concerned about some bleeding I was having, she called our home at 7pm on Thursday, March 6th, 2008. She had discussed our situation with the other doctors and decided to induce my labor to make sure you arrived safely. She gave us the option of coming in at 1am the next day, or asap. Your daddy and I decided to go to the hospital early. So, at 8pm, I walked into the Labor & Delivery department of the Valley View Medical Center in Cedar City, Utah, along with Daddy and Grandma Vicki. After doing all the necessary paperwork and yucky girl stuff with the nurse, my wonderful doctor, Laurie Hansen arrived about 9:30pm. I was having contractions on my own, but wanted to progress my labor quicker. As far as we could tell at that point, you were doing fine. Your heart rate was normal and I could still feel you kicking all around inside of me. To aid in speeding up my labor, Laurie broke my water. At first, it seemed to have gone perfectly. After only a few minutes, I began to bleed more and your heart rate dropped drastically, sending everyone into high alert mode. They had me move into every position thinkable to get your heart rate to return to normal. It would for a minute or so, then it would drop right back down, usually while I was having a contraction. Daddy held my hand and kept reminding me to take deep breaths for you. He kept me very calm. After monitoring your drastically changing heart rate for just about 30 minutes or so, they called the rest of the staff together and decided to opt for an emergency c-section. Daddy and I trusted the decision of the wonderful staff and knew they would do whatever was best for you. By 11:10pm, I was being rolled into the Operating Room with Daddy close behind. The surgery went very quickly and you entered this world at 11:32pm. I heard your first cry and I immediately cried as well. Daddy got to see you and hold you first. Before we parted ways, mine to the recovery room and yours to the nursery, Daddy brought you over to see me. You were so beautiful! You have perfect little lips like your daddy and little fuzz pretending to be hair on your head. I didn't get to join you and Daddy in the nursery for your measurements, first bath or diaper, but I finally got to hold you when we met up in my hospital room around 12:30am. I will never forget that moment. I held you in my arms and you looked up at me like we were just being re-introduced. Every time I spoke you would stare at me and I couldn't help but stare back. What a blessing you are already to our family. So many things could have gone wrong while bringing you into this world, but the Lord brought you safely to us. He gave our doctors the intuition to induce me 2 weeks early and he gave me the strength to do exactly what they said, no matter how scary or painful it was. Always listen to the Lord, son. He will continually guide you in every aspect of life.
I love you. Thank you for choosing me to be your mother! I look forward to many cherished moments with you as my son. Daddy & I will do our very best to be great parents, but go easy on us... we're new at this. Always remember that we love you!
Love Always & Forever,
Mommy

8 comments:

Chad and Kristen said...

Keri, thanks for making me cry, that was beautiful. I am glad everything went so well. He really is a doll! Let me know if I can answer any questions for you about your c-section recovery!! I am glad you are able to just enjoy each other. The one thing I did like about the hospital, is that it seems as though time just stops and pauses for this miracle of family bonding. Take it easy and relax and enjoy these wonderful moments.

Ann said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son. I know you will both be good
parents to D.J. Heavenly Father has blessed you both with this responsibility, you both have beautiful and caring hearts.

Can't wait to see D.J.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful words! I am so very happy for you and James both and welcome little baby David! You are such an incredibly cute little boy! I love you Keri! Congratulations to your sweet new and perfect little family! Heavenly Father has definately blessed your hearts! You and James are going to fabulous parents, I just know it! Enjoy your sweet little love!

The A.Wahls said...

You had me in tears! You need to print that out for his baby book! I'm happy that you are both healthy and well. Congrats to you and James and best wishes on your recovery! Tell James I am happy he'll be able to watch his new movies with his little son just like he'd hoped.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Clint and I are so happy for you guys. Give DJ a kiss for us!!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Keri,

Thanks for allowing me to read that letter to your beautiful new son! It was so touching and brought back wonderful memories of giving birth to my own children. I know exactly how you and James must feel. It's like falling in love and the best kind of love. Enjoy staring into his eyes and keep telling him you love him. I wish all three of you all the best as you discover being a family together!
Love,
Robyn (Kristen's Mom)

Nifty Nick said...

Keri,
That is the sweetest thing ever. Im sitting here crying. Im so happy everything went well and that you and James have an adorable son now. You guys are wonderful people and I don't know you super well but I know that you are a wonderful mother and James is a great father.
Love,
Mandy (and Nick)

Anonymous said...

Keri,
You wrote such a beautiful letter to your son! I hope you keep it forever and read to him over and over again. You and James will be the best parents in the world! I love you!